Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bye, Bye Slippery Knob

Lil' has started throwing some pretty decent temper tantrums lately. No big deal - I can take it. Tantrums have never really bothered nor embarrassed me. Bring it. That's what I say. I usually just let the moment pass and then we go back to our lives. Tantrums were different with Big though because he wanted to throw them in front of me. Lil' has a much different approach.

When she gets mad, she crosses her arms and stomps off. It's crazy how loud a 2 1/2 year old can stomp. She pounds over to the base of the stairs and says, "Bye Bye Mom." Then she goes upstairs to her room and shuts her door and yells a little while. That's all fine and well and good. But in the end, she is getting the last say BECAUSE she has a slippery knob on the back of her door so she can't get out in the middle of the night. I'm scared she'll fall down the stairs. So that means that after every tantrum, I've got to go let her out of her room. Which becomes somewhat daunting and annoying cause she knows that in some small way, she won. I have to stop doing whatever I'm doing and acknowledge her issue.

Lil' is alot craftier than I give her credit for. She's not gonna fall down the stairs and she couldn't anyways because we keep a baby gate at the top. So today I'm taking the bull by the horns. I'm gonna stomp up to Lil's room and say, "Bye Bye slippery knob!"

1 comment: