Monday, July 27, 2009

It Makes Me Laugh

I remember watching alot of Dallas episodes growing up. I can also vividly remember certain episodes of Days of Our Lives and Santa Barbara and even Another World. It was a 3 hour soap fest. My Dad loved Hee Haw. Anytime I see that old man with the banjo I smell a grill cause that's what Dad did when we watched Hee Haw. My brother and I lived for Friday nights when Miami Vice was on. He was always Tubs so I always got be Crocket. That was fine. I got to drive the Ferrari. Except for this one time when he wanted to be Crocket and I took his picture.



Anyways, what perplexes me is how this history of trash tv. has bred a love and I'm talking a deep love of food tv. I watch it all and I watch it all the time. Diners, Drive-ins & Dives, Cooking for Real, Giada at Home, Ace of Cakes, Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Iron Chef. All of these are on one glorious channel - The Food Network. Lately I've been watching others though. Man vs. Food and Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on the The Travel Channel. I love Anthony Bourdain. His dry sense of humor. How drunk he gets and how he always trys to quit smoking but never can. Not that that is funny but I love that he's not a quitter. He can't quit smoking and he can't quit trying to quit smoking. There are lots of shots of him when he's just gorged himself to the brim on some crazy food and then he's swishing whiskey around in his mouth and blowing smoke out of his nose.

I don't really ever cook anything from a show I watch but for some reason, I just can't stop watching them. It's the strangest thing. Especially considering that my diet and menus consistenly consist of 4 main ingredients: cheese, bread, meat and butter.

I'd rather watch food shows over anything on tv and yes, I think that's weird but let it be known that this old housewife isn't a soap watcher. I'm obsessed with another little known pleasure. You might have loved Bo Brady and Cruz Castillo but I love Anthony Bourdain and Guy Fieri. With that said I still have to post this picture cause it makes me laugh.




No comments:

Post a Comment