Thursday, January 14, 2010

L'union Fait La Force

Uggghhhh. The pictures from the earthquake in Haiti are heartwrenching. When I used to ask my Mom questions about why bad things like this happen she would tell me "God has a plan. God always has a plan. Put this question in your bucket and ask him when you get there." My time on earth has taught me this; natural disasters happen every couple of years to remind us of our fragility. Hurricane Katrina, the tsunami in Indonesia, the tornados in Alabama; all of these are examples to us of how we are not in control. I believe they also simulate a spanking to humanity as if to say, "Get yourself together. Be nice to your sister or your brother. Don't make me tell you again." After all, when these things happen, we are all nicer to eachother for a little while until we get out of hand again.

In times like these, its important to reach out and help in any way you can. Donate. Pray. Whatever. Daddy and I usually donate our money through the Red Cross when these things happen. We make sure to tell Big and Lil' about it so that they know its part of their responsibility as a human who shares the planet to help their brothers and sisters in times of need and struggle. We can't donate much but we give what we can.

We pray to God that he gives those people patience and a sense of calm and peace in the midst of all the chaos. I hope that we all remember the Haitian motto: L’union fait la force (Unity is Strength).

No comments:

Post a Comment