Monday, October 19, 2009

Sausage Balls and Whiskey

This past weekend, Daddy and I went camping. It was my first time. It was a bad weekend to go but we had a blast. Friday night it rained. It really, really rained. But the rain sounded so good on the tent it lulled me right to sleep. And then Saturday it got cold. Freezing cold with a 20mph wind blowing. I didn't sleep so well that night.

Camping is interesting because I always thought it was an easy thing to do. Get back to nature. Be simple. Not so much. You need alot of stuff in order to be comfortable. Our car was packed of everything you would need for 2 nights in the woods. I won't bore you with the list but I'll put it this way, I rode in the car with my feet propped up on a bundle of wood for 3 1/2 hours because there was no more room for it in my big SUV. Funny thing is we had all this stuff but we hardly used any of it.

I think my Mom was more worried about me camping than anyone. On Friday, we stopped by and she had made sausage balls. Oh good lawdy sausage balls. Smells like Christmas, feels like a warm blanket. Even my veggie cousin has a hard time staying veg around them. Here you go:

4 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
3 cups Bisquick baking mix
1 1-pound package ground sausage
1/8 tablespoon Garlic Salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in a large glass bowl. Mix well with your fingers. The mixture will be very crumbly. Form into 1 inch balls, squeezing the mixture so it holds together, then rolling it between the palms of your hands to form balls. Place the balls on the baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.

On Sunday, she knew we had been through some weather. So she had some soup ready for us. 2 choices: Potato and Beefy Vegetable. Both delicious.

Here's what I learned this weekend. When you camp, all that is really necessary are sausage balls and whiskey. Both will warm your tummy and if you have enough, you won't know if you're cold or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment