Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chicken Posole

Alright, fine! It's true. A lot, not all, but a lot of what I make for supper comes from a recipe that I've run across. When it comes to cooking, I lack the creative know-how to come up with a dish on my own. I have some things that my Mama taught me how to make, some things that I find on websites and in magazines and if I'm really being honest... some that sometimes come from a bag. Yikes!

Anyways, on days like today when it's so blistery, blustery cold in our little spot of the south, all that we want around here is soup. So here's a soup that will for sure, no doubt, make you feel like this lady...


It's called Chicken Posole and alright fine - it's from Real Simple. Now I did use cooked and shredded chicken breasts, chick peas instead of hominy (cause I don't know what that is) and I threw in some black beans cause I dig them. I guess you could substitute tofu for the chicken (waddup Barto!) but the lime is essential so make sure you add a little squeeze to each bowl. I also had to do some ingredient separating when I served up the kids bowls, but it hit the spot so give it a try.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
kosher salt and black pepper
1 32-ounce container low-sodium chicken broth
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 dried ancho chili, thinly sliced, or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken meat
1 15-ounce can hominy, rinsed
1 lime, cut into wedges


Directions
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and
   beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Add the broth, tomatoes, and chili and bring to a boil.
4. Stir in the chicken and hominy and simmer until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Serve the posole with the lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment