Tuesday, May 17, 2011

People.

Being from a small town is something that I've become thankful for. I wasn't originally really happy that everyone always knew my business, but as I've gotten older, being from Chapin is something I hugely embrace. It's a good thing when a community wraps it's arms around itself and never lets go no matter where you go and no matter how old you get.

This past Friday, our little community came together, all bound by a passion for life and the freedom to live it. One of our People is sick. Really sick. So some of our other people got together to do something about it. They didn't ask for help but we all came together and gave it. We gave it because we wanted to, needed to and had to.

In the middle of the night when we never thought we would, we all looked around at faces we hadn't seen in years and at our People who are there for you when you need them the most. One of the spearheads of the evening sums it up best...


All it took was a simple e-mail and this generosity unfolded. As I reflect back on the last six weeks of my life, I realize that the experience of helping David has given me more then I could ever give him. In one word, I am reconnected. Reconnected to those who have come in and out of my life, to those who have always been in my life, to those who are only in my life because we know and love David, and to that inner love and glow we are born with, but seems to lessen in brightness as we age.

Oh and that feeling I can't shake of my true "Breakfast Club" moment. Being overwhelmed with things to do, life to live, stuff to move, money to make, conversations to be had, the feeling of being alone surrounded by so many and there you were. Yes, all of you. The girl I sat next to in science, the guy I kissed in the closet, the parent's who had an entire slumber party sneak out, my mother, my amazing sisters, girl friends that no matter how long it has been or what it is are always there for you, those boys that you are able to call at 10:30 on a friday that drop everything and come and move an entire gym. Yes! That moment......As I sat outside the gym with all of my lifelong friends and family I couldn't help but want to write my own letter to Mr. Vernon.

Dear Mr. Vernon,

We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole friday and saturday in the school gym to help out a friend. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain...and an athlete...and a basket case...a princess..and a criminal... We found that we will always help each other out, we found out that even large boxes can be moved in heels, we found out that laughter is in everything, we found out that everyday is a blessing, and we found out that we will always have each other....Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, The Breakfast Club

To my Breakfast Club I want to say thank you and this would not have been possible without the help of each and everyone of you. We were able to raise over $7,000.00. A special thanks to Stacey, Amber, Cam, Daye, Mom, Dad, Beth, Kay, Sam, Alicia, Gayle, Mary, Carlie, Denise, Kristie, Stacy, Ashley, Laura, Allison, Jeremy, Timmy, Gus, Martin, Matt, Chris, Russell, Brent, Clay and everyone who donated time, food, items and money... Live everyday to the fullest!

I'm proud of those People. People who have their own lives now but will never forget where they have come from. People who love their People no matter where they go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment